Metabolic & Cardiovascular
Examination & Testing
A carotid ultrasound, or carotid duplex, is a painless, safe test that uses sound waves to make images of what your carotid arteries look like on the inside. By using the Doppler ultrasound technique, your healthcare provider can also see how well your blood travels through your two carotid arteries, which take blood to your brain.
You may need a carotid artery ultrasound when your healthcare provider wants to look for blood clots or plaque (fat and cholesterol deposits) on your carotid artery walls. These plaque deposits can limit ― and eventually block ― the flow of blood to your brain, face, and neck. A blocked carotid artery can cause a stroke.
Examination & Testing
Frequently Asked Questions
You may need a carotid ultrasound if you:
- Had surgery on a narrowed artery.
- Need a follow-up on a stent in your carotid artery.
- Are getting periodic checks because your artery was narrow during a previous checkup.
- Have a bruit (unusual sound like a whoosh) your provider could hear through a stethoscope against your artery.
- Have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Had a stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA).
- Are going to have coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Have diabetes.
- Have stroke or heart disease in your family.
- Have a hematoma (collection or pool of blood).
Doppler ultrasound helps your provider look at:
- Blood flow.
- Narrowing or blockage in your artery.
- Malformations you’ve had since birth or tumors.
A healthcare provider called a sonographer performs our ultrasound tests, and our highly experienced radiologist interprets the data.
carotid intima-media thickness test
A measure used to diagnose the extent of carotid atherosclerotic vascular disease. The test measures the thickness of the inner two layers of the carotid artery—the intima and media—and alerts physicians to any thickening when patients are still asymptomatic.
Metabolic medicine is the treatment of disease using the body’s natural biochemistry along with current scientific research to support the body’s best functioning and the optimal health of patients. Metabolic medicine essentially refers to healing from the inside out.
As one can imagine this is an exciting field and the discoveries are frequent and numerous. As is also true with the treatment options.
We regularly cull the options available and have landed on some solid ways to identify, monitor and tailor make your restorative recovery options. Details of the Procedures and Credentials used can be found under other areas of this website. But they include Life Style College of Medicine and Internal Medicine Boarded, A Fellow and BD Certified Physician. This includes the compliment of equipment such as Aspen Laser, BTL/NEO along with, Brain Span, CAIT and DNA Testing